Your municipality is considering adoption of several modifications to the current fire code for all commercial buildings over 4,000 square feet. Specifically of interest to you, the primary modification will require the installation, maintenance, and inspection of the appropriate fire protection system for each type of commercial business. As the fire inspector, you have been asked to come to the next city council meeting to educate the members on the matter.
Prepare a 10- to 15-slide PowerPoint presentation that includes information on the installation, maintenance, and inspection of each of the following types of fire suppression systems:
- Automatic sprinkler systems
- Wet-pipe sprinkler systems
- Dry-pipe sprinkler systems
- Preaction sprinkler systems
- Deluge sprinkler systems
- Dry-chemical extinguishing systems
- Wet-chemical extinguishing systems
- Clean-agent extinguishing systems (halogenated agents)
- Carbon dioxide extinguishing systems
Remember that the city council members are laypeople, so be sure to include pictures and explain any technical information that may be confusing for them. You are encouraged to include information regarding the economic impact of this code adoption.
You may also use the information in your textbook. Your presentation should include at least two references to support discussion. Be sure to cite any sources used in a reference slide, using proper APA formatting. The title and reference slides do not count towards the slide-count requirement.
You are asked to evaluate employees’ exposures to methyl n-amyl ketone during a painting operation. After careful consideration, you choose NIOSH Method 2553 for the sampling. You can access the method by clicking the link below:
National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health. (2003). Ketones II: Method 2553. In P. M. Eiler & M. E. Cassinelli (Eds.), NIOSH manual of analytical methods (4th ed.). Retrieved from http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/2003-154/pdfs/2553.pdf
Your pre-sampling and post-sampling pump calibrations using a primary standard are both 0.05 L/min. You collect personal samples on two employees working in the operation. The samples are collected for 430 minutes (Sample 1) and 440 minutes (Sample 2).
- Calculate the sample volumes for each of the samples.
The laboratory reports that the front section of Sample 1 contains 5,000 µg of methyl n-amyl ketone and the back section contains 200 µg of methyl n-amyl ketone. The front section of Sample 2 contains 4,000 µg of methyl n-amyl ketone and the back section contains 50 µg of methyl n-amyl ketone. Neither the front nor back sections of the field blank you supplied contain any detectable levels of methyl n-amyl ketone.
- Calculate the concentrations of the two personal samples in µg/L and mg/m³.
- Convert the result to ppm (MW for methyl n-amyl ketone = 114.2). Note: Use the ideal gas constant of 24.45.
- Show all the steps for your calculations.
You then reference OSHA’s Table Z-1 and find that the 8-hour TWA PEL for methyl n-amyl ketone is 100 ppm
- Discuss how the results of the two personal samples you collected compare to the OSHA PEL, and describe the sampling method you implemented.
You also look up the ACGIH TLV for methyl n-amyl ketone and find that the TLV is 50 ppm as an 8-hour TWA exposure.
- Discuss how the results for the two personal samples compare to the ACGIH TLV.
- Discuss whether you would recommend comparing the results of your sampling to the OSHA PEL or the ACGIH TLV. Include your rationale for the choice, and explain how you would rationalize your choice to your employer.
The case study should be a minimum of three pages in length, and you should cite the NIOSH document using APA style.